Thursday 23 July 2009

Shopping in Norwich with the family!

Shopping and family really shouldn't appear in the same sentence in my book. In fact I usually shy away from any kind of shopping if I have to take the children (and husband) with me. And believe me I LOVE SHOPING! It just isn't a good experience, a husband that won't look at anything unless it's a Wii game or something for the Xbox and children that just constantly want you to buy them something - anything, they're not fussy.

However, all this changed yesterday when I came into Norwich and discovered that during the holidays some shops and organisations have recognised that there is room for both fun and shopping when out with the family. Hurrah!

The Forum in the centre of Norwich has a week-long programme of FREE (mostly free) children's activities inside and out that yesterday kept my children thoroughly amused and happy. They painted a car (a real car), listened to a story inside a huge peach, chalked part of an octopus in a massive pavement painting, stroked mini beasts and appeared on TV in their own version of Honey I shrunk the kids! After this I was able to shop quite easily whilst discussing with them all they had done that morning.

I am also pleased to see that most of the large shops and department stores have a good children's programme of events taking place throughout the summer. I am keeping a close eye on what’s happening at The Mall Norwich, Chapelfield and John Lewis. I have also discovered that in Jarrold’s children’s book department there will be dressing up, art, story telling, crafts and meet the character – I’m not quite convinced yet that I want my daughter to actually meet Horrid Henry (I am already seeing similar behavioural tendencies which are a little worrying) but nevertheless the option is there - if on the day I am feeling brave.

Does all this mean shopping doesn't have to be tedious anymore? Can we choose to shop as a family and keep everyone happy? No doubt there will be tears before bedtime at some point but hopefully they will no longer be mine and whilst places like The Forum continue with this kind of entertainment, parents and children can reap the benefits of mixing shopping, fun and education.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment